Sunday, June 16, 2013

Garden Party!

I've been working feverishly on a new project: 3D printed garden markers.

I saw this image featured on the Shapeways blog:


And thought to myself, WTF!!!!!

How is that a feature worthy print?  The design is boring (and the print quality is the SUCK).

A garden needs character. That garden says "Meh. I'm here and I can tell you what else is here with me."

While I know we ultimately DON'T want Peter Rabbit and company hanging out in our gardens, we should at least want our garden to be inviting enough for a cast of woodland characters to want to have a tea party amongst our plants. (But then again I imagine Pi has tea parties with the mice that we are trying to run out of the house.)

While my personal garden plot is only 5'x4', I'm utilizing square foot gardening and packing as much in as I can.  I've got a variety of herbs including mint, savory, fennel, sage, garlic, chives, lemon balm and catmint. I've got several types of greens including Swiss chard, kale, spinach and lettuce.  I've got a few larger plants in there too, including zucchini, lemon cucumbers and rhubarb.

My current (and long time) favorite font is called Charlie.

If it looks familiar, it's the font we chose to use for our wedding invitations (a future blog post will be dedicated to the entire wedding stationary and Save the Dates).  It's wonderfully reminiscent of the Arts and Crafts movement and makes me think of the work of Charles Rennie Mackintosh.

Here are some of the results.







The last photo includes the Rogue Rabbit Gardens sign made for me by Justin.  It is also printed from PLA (as are all of the markers featured) and has been in my garden since March.

I will have these markers and others available for purchase in the next few days.  Follow my blog for the announcement when they will be available (the announcement will go up on Facebook as well).

I have a few really awesome ideas for garden accessories that I will be working on in the coming weeks.  Stay tuned for those as well!

No comments:

Post a Comment